The Dance of the Gods - The Mesmerizing Theyyam of Kerala - A Guided Photography by Dheeraj Paul
Led by: Dheeraj Paul
Jan. 12, 2023 to Jan. 16, 2023
₹49,999.00 per participant on Double occupancy basis
Special Offer for Sony Alpha users
First Time attendees get *50% off of the above cost. Repeat Photo-Tour participants get *25%
About the tour
A Guided Photography Journey to cover Kerala’s Most Amazing Festival – The Dance of the Gods - Theyyam. The blissful state of Karnataka and Kerala have great wealth of cultural traditions . The celebrations of these traditions is through an array of races, fairs and festivals which can be any photographer’s delight stories. They bring forward ancient myths that speak of gods, goddesses, saints, heroes and demons who once walked through this incredible land inspiring extreme Photo-Journeys.
About - The Dance of the Gods
One of the most special and extraordinary festivals one can witness in Kerala is none other than Theyyam. The word Theyyam literally means ‘God‘ and hence the Theyyam dance is known as the ‘Dance of Gods‘. Performed by men enacting female roles too by wearing elaborate make-up, intricate headgears and colorful costumes It is unique, powerful and a divine splendour to watch and Shoot - colourful costumes , exotic make-up and hair raising dance moves are the main highlights of Theyyam.
The facial makeup of each artist is so complex that the artist has to lie on the floor for hours while the designs are painted on their faces - we shoot the behind the stage too.. Many of these performances involves dancers walking on hot coal, the sacrifice of a rooster, etc. The colours and lighting can be mind-boggling , feast your ears with the hypnotic chants and rhythmic drumbeats as well as your eyes with the colourful pageantry and vigorous dance moves that are any photographer’s dream project
Be prepared for erratic sleep hours as many of these festivities run late into the night and even early hours of the morning . We shall have many hours of guided photography shoot sessions covering most intricate Genres as we travel along the coast to witness the authentic celebrations around Dance of the Gods with Highly acclaimed photo-mentor & Travel Photographer Dheeraj Paul & Indian Photo Tours operations team ensuring highest safety precautions protocols during travel and stay.
An exclusive behind the scenes as well as beach shoot session of world famous Kalaripayuttu is planned during sundowner along with many blue hours and sunset shoots . Continuous Critique sessions, guidance, shoot sessions and discussions in an interactive exciting environment.
- Tour Dates : 12th to 16th of January 2023. 5 Days / 4 Nights stay and includes all meals/ Group inland travel to various Theyyam locations/villages. The group reports at Kannur, Kerala on 12th January 2023, which is well connected by air , road and rail with major towns of India. The group can take flight out from Kannur international airport on 16th January 2023 afternoon. Payyanur/ payangadi are nearest railway stations.
- Strict Hygiene and Precautions : Our Comprehensive Stay & Travel Safe policy ensures highest safety precautions & protocols during group travel and stay. Single occupancy subject to availability on first come first basis. Social distancing & usage of Face masks are compulsory as deemed.
- Inland Travel : to various festival village locations at Kannur. Raliway station/Airport shared drop arrangements payable on actuals.
Costs of Guided Photo-Expedition:
- INR 49,999/– per participant on Double occupancy basis
- Special Offer - First Time Photo Tour Participants (Sony Alpha users) pay – INR 25,000/- (50% off) per participant Repeat Photo Tour Participants are eligible for a special price of INR 37,499/- (25% off) per participant on double occupancy. T&C Apply.
Please note that Camera and Monument entry fees payable directly by participants.
If you want to be on this Master Class and need any assistance/information, call Indian Photo Tours at 9910903636 /9811044788 or write to them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most Important - Due to limited availability - Registrations are purely on first come first basis and above offer is limited to very few seats..
Photo-Tours Campaign (“campaign”) that are organised by select Photo Tour Vendors and promoted on Sony Alpha community. Before participating, please read the terms and conditions carefully given below.
- Photo-tours happen in various locations across India. In a photo-tour, the attendees are taught photography related skills while they visit a location (like national parks) or an event (like Kumbh mela).
- These photo-tours are organised by third party Photo Tour Vendors. Except for providing this facility to Sony alpha Community User, Sony India disclaims all responsibility or liability in connection with these Photo Tours.
- Sony Alpha users will be entitled to get special discount on these photo tours subject to the confirmation of Photo-tours vendors as below:
- * 50% off for first time user
- * 25% off for repeat users. 25% discount can be availed once in the first calendar year and twice in every consecutive calendar year
- * A user can only avail discount twice in a calendar year
- Sony Alpha users gets the above discount only if they apply for the Photo Tour from the Alpha community and they have a Sony camera registered in their profile.
- Photo-tour fee will be collected by the third party Photo Tour Vendors as deemed fit and in such manner as prescribed by them. Please check beforehand these details. Sony India shall not be responsible or liable in any manner whatsoever.
- Training during photo-tour is also conducted by the team of photo tour vendor. Sony India shall not be responsible or liable in any manner whatsoever.
- Photo tour vendors has a dashboard from which they can view the applicable discount for a user and offer the same to him/her.
- Participant(s) must be a citizen of India; residing in India. Residents of other countries and non- Indian citizens are not eligible to participate.
- Mere participation in the Campaign(s) or sending the entry (ies) does not entitle the Participant to Phot-Tours. Any fraudulent conduct or use of unfair means, tools, software shall disentitle the Participant. Sony India reserves its right to disqualify, at its sole discretion, any entry /participation which do not comply with any of the terms and conditions given herein.
- Photo Tours are organised by third party vendors and are on "first come first serve" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, merchantability, durability, suitability for any particular purpose, performances and/or non-infringement of any applicable laws. Sony India cannot guarantee or be held responsible or liable for any product or service or content offered by Photo Tour Vendors which is not in the control of Sony India.
- Unless stated otherwise, the web platform wherein the Campaign, or these Terms and Conditions are provided are, along with the content and information provided therein, unless expressly indicated otherwise, along with all intellectual property vested therein, shall be the sole and exclusive property of Sony India. Any action or attempted action by any Participant that is or may be reasonably construed as being or likely to be detrimental, harmful or disruptive of such property shall render such Participant liable to be proceeded against under applicable laws by Sony India.
- Sony India reserves the right (but is not obliged to) to publish, reproduce, paraphrase, broadcast or display any and all entries, in part or in entirety, submitted by Participants, as well as the name, photograph, likeness or other information of the Participant, on the website , its Facebook page, or any other platform, digital or otherwise that Sony India, in its sole discretion, shall deem fit, for any purpose, whether promotional, advertising-related or otherwise, and Sony India shall not be liable to provide any benefit, compensation or consideration to any Participant for such use of their entries or details.
- By participating, each Participant agrees to hold harmless Sony India India and its affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents, as well as all others associated with the development and execution of this Campaign from and against any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this Campaign.
- Sony India reserves the right to change the terms and conditions and to alter or terminate this campaign at any time without prior notice. An updated version of the terms and conditions may be made available on the website.
- While availing the offer/campaign, furnishing of personal details and contact(s), if any, to Sony India (as the case may be) shall be treated as consent to receive communication at the contact details provided.
- By participating, each Participant specifically accepts as follows (a) that he/she has fully read and understood all the terms and conditions and be unconditionally bound by them b) that he/she satisfies the eligibility requirements under these rules c) that he/she shall honour all decisions of Sony India with regard to the campaign and its interpretation and not challenge them (d) to comply with all Central, State, Local Laws and Regulations.
- Sony India may assign any or all of its rights and obligations under this campaign and these Terms and Conditions to any third party without consent of the Participants.
- This campaign is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or any other social media platform.
- The campaign is not available (void) where prohibited by any law. All relevant national and local laws apply. All disputes to be settled within the jurisdiction of the Courts in New Delhi only.
About Dheeraj Paul (tour leader)
Dheeraj Paul was born in 1974 in Delhi into one of the most well known and respected photography family in India. He has a vast multitude of experience in editorial and advertising photography spanning close to three decades. He is a prominent and acknowledged voice in the contemporary photography community in India with his mentorship influencing new and upcoming photographers. He is also the brand ambassador for Sony Alpha photography and the Founding Director at Indian Photo Tours where he leads guided photo expeditions and masterclass for photo enthusiasts. With a goal to capture moments in daily life, he specialises in people, travel, fine-art, food and architecture photography. Due to his early induction into photography with indoor photography, he is also an expert in indoor lighting setups. He also teaches advanced photography at the AJK Mass Communication and Research Centre at the Jamia Milia Islamia University of Delhi. His diverse experience has made him a widely renowned photographer mentor today. He has been a part of the jury for the International Sony Photography Awards 2014 and 2015. He has also been invited thrice in a row for the International Jury by the Humanity Photo Awards 2009, 2011 and 2013 in China co-organised by UNESCO. His work has been critically and widely acclaimed. He has a wide range of published books including “Around India’s First Table - Dining and entertainment at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, “The Golden Temple- A Gift to Humanity”, “The Art of Indian Cuisine” and many more to his name.