About Gautam Pandey
A National Award winner, Gautam Pandey is one of India’s accomplished wildlife filmmakers. Gautam studied film in Canada and has won several national and international awards for his films. He also conducts film workshops and has recently trained the Border Security Force of India in the basics of filmmaking and Cinematography. Beyond awards Gautam Pandey lives with a passion for the wild. Born into a family of nature-enthusiasts, Gautam’s passion for filmmaking started at an early age and he is now focused in using film as a medium to bring about awareness about wildlife and document unique animal behaviour in the wild. For the past year Gautam has been experimenting with cutting edge technology to push the boundaries and find ways to reach difficult and treacherous locations to document rare animal behaviour. He spent 2 years filming in The Great Himalayan National park to document the rare and elusive western tragopan which had never been filmed before. Gautam has also produced and directed several episodes of the TV series Earth Matters which is India’s longest running environmental series on National TV. He completed a film on forests for the Public Service broadcasting Trust in 2012 and tourism films on lesser known destinations and arts and crafts of Rajasthan for the Ministry of Tourism, Rajasthan in 2013. Over the last 5 years Gautam has traveled, trekked and dived to extreme locations and made films on important issues such as mangroves of India, high altitude wetlands, sustainable and net zero energy buildings and high altitude shepherds and impacts of climate change on them. He has recently completed 2 films a Co Director and Presenter for Animal Planet - Gyamo - Queen of the Mountains and Looking for Sultan Currently he is working on a film on the secret lives of Himalayan Brown Bears
- Jackson Hole Big Cats Festival - Local Voices - Gyamo Queen of the Mountains
- Mountain Film Festival - Environment - Gyamo Queen of the Mountains
- National Award for the film 'Timeless Travellers- The Horseshoe Crab'
- Mayor of Prague award at IFAAF for the film ‘Kurumbas – children of the blue mountains’
- Best documentary in the newcomer award category at the Vatavaran film festival,
- Silver Tree Award in the Wildlife Conservation category at the Vatavaran 2003 Film Festival for the film “Timeless Traveller – the Horseshoe Crab”
- Best Documentary in the Revelations category at the Vatavaran 2003 Film Festival for the film “Timeless Traveller – the Horseshoe Crab”
- Getting to know and Protecting Wildlife Award at the International Wildlife Film Festival – Festival International Du Film Animalier d’Albert -France, for the film “Timeless Traveller – the Horseshoe Crab”.
- Getting to know and Protecting Water Life Award at the International Wildlife Film Festival – Festival International Du Film Animalier d’Albert in France, for the film “Timeless Traveller – the horseshoe crab.
- Best environment protection film, Timeless Traveller, Sichuan TV Festival China